Tucson attorney Ali Farhang recently phoned Oakland Raiders president Marc Badain, introduced himself and pitched a plan for the Raiders to play their 2019 home schedule at Arizona Stadium.,The man who created the Arizona Bowl and has become part-owner of the indoor football league’s Tucson Sugar Skulls, is not shy about an attempt to execute a grandiose Act III, putting the National Football League in Tucson — if only for a season.,+1 

Before settling in Las Vegas, the NFL’s Raiders would be smart to call Tucson home in 2019, Ali Farhang believes.,Or, perhaps, the Raiders could be creative, schedule a preseason game or two at Arizona Stadium, and play the ’19 regular-season schedule — eight home games — in a variety of Western cities.,In the hallway to his office is a subway sign that reads: read more

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Trevor Lawrence passed for 347 yards and three touchdowns and No. 2 Clemson rolled No. 1 Alabama 44-16 on Monday night in the College Football Playoff national championship game.,NEW YORK (AP) — Texas quarterback Vince Young and Notre Dame speedster Raghib Ismail have been selected for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, along with 11 other players and two coaches.,The rest of the players to be enshrined in December include Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, Oklahoma defensive back Rickey Dixon, John Carroll linebacker London Fletcher, Texas AM defensive lineman Jacob Green, North Carolina State receiver Torry Holt, Arizona State quarterback Jake Plummer, USC defensive back Troy Polamalu, Wisconsin offensive tackle Joe Thomas, Florida State defensive back Terrell Buckley, Michigan State running back Lorenzo White and Mississippi linebacker Patrick Willis.,NFL read more

Facebook said it is investigating whether an organization backed by billionaire and Democratic megadonor Reid Hoffman violated the social media giant's policies when it set up a series of misleading news pages in a bid to target U.S. voters with left-leaning political messages.,Facebook said it is investigating whether an organization backed by billionaire and Democratic ... more

Photo: Paul Chinn, The Chronicle read more

Rampant electronic cigarette use — or vaping — by area teens have Butler County schools scrambling to battle against the newest and trendy delivery devices of nicotine’s potent drug high.,VIDEO STORY: Survey: 1 in 5 high school seniors nationwide report vaping within last month

Vaping, also known as juuling, “is quickly becoming a bigger problem in our secondary schools,” said Larry Knapp, superintendent of Hamilton Schools.,MORE: Fairfield Schools survey on student drug use has officials concerned read more

With more than 30,000 teachers union members ready to strike Thursday, the Los Angeles Unified School District is preparing to bring in highly paid substitutes, supervise students in large spaces such as auditoriums and ease background checks for parent volunteers, according to records obtained by The Times.The school system probably will also use online instruction in an effort to continue to provide education.United Teachers Los Angeles, which has scheduled the strike, also represents substitute teachers.,Contracts were signed with at least five agencies.A spokeswoman said this month the district would bring in about 400 substitutes if there was a strike, and that about 2,000 district employees who have teaching credentials but are not in the teachers union have been assigned to work in specific schools or areas.We have a duty to provide an education to our students, and we will take appropriate measures to do so, a district spokeswoman said in a statement.The union has said it will fight the district on outside hiring for temporary positions and is exploring all options to consider legal action to protect the work of UTLA substitutes, according to a statement last month.The districts current plans would put schools at about 8% of regular staffing by teachers union members.But the October contracts with agencies, including the Charter Substitute Teacher Network and Maxim Healthcare Services Inc., allow for more than 4,400 substitutes to be brought in.,But with the regular teachers gone and substitute staffing thin, its hard to know what that instruction will look like.According to the strike planning documents obtained by The Times, each school principal was asked to fill out a Pre-Work Stoppage Worksheet listing the number of large spaces on campus, such as gyms, auditoriums, multipurpose rooms and cafeterias, and how many students each of these spaces would hold.A work stoppage worksheet for Colfax Elementary School from September 2018.,But workers in some of the five other employee unions in L.A. Unified may choose not to cross the picket line.The unions have different stances on the issue.SEIU Local 99, which represents close to 30,000 service employees including teacher assistants, bus drivers, food service workers, gardeners and custodians, has warned members that their jobs may be at risk if they choose to strike, but is asking members at schools to let the union know if at least 80% on a given campus plan to join a sympathy strike.We are still assessing how many school sites will participate in sympathy strikes, SEIU 99 spokeswoman Blanca Gallegos said in an email Thursday.,We are using the 80% threshold as a way to ensure that workers are protected through strength in numbers.The California School Employees Assn. represents about 4,000 clerical, technical and business service employees in the district and is asking its members to inform their supervisors if they plan to strike, said Local 500 president Letetsia Fox.We are allowing our members to make that decision, Fox said.Fox, a senior finance manager at Dorsey High School, said she will not cross the picket line.I stand in solidarity with my brothers and sisters of UTLA in their quest to receive more resources for their students, she said.The only non-teaching members of employee unions certain not to participate in a sympathy strike are school police, who are legally barred from doing so.

Illinois State Police documents show that the agency frequently assigns troopers to escort sports teams, musicians and even filmmakers across the congested roadways of greater Chicago.,Illinois State Police wouldn’t comment on the trip, so the Tribune made a public records request for all police escort contracts in 2018.,Though critics have called police escorts for sports teams a frivolous and potentially dangerous use of public resources, state police defend them as a way to provide “safety and security for all those involved in the motorcade as well as for the motoring public.”,The contracts show that visiting NFL teams routinely receive police escorts to and from the airport, hotels and Soldier Field.,College football teams are also major customers: Northwestern University had a standing order for police escorts between its team hotel and Ryan Field on game days, and the University of Illinois paid for the service when it played at Soldier Field in September.

Tim Hardaway Jr. scored 22 points, Trey Burke added 16 and the Knicks snapped their eight-game losing streak with a 119-112 victory over Los Angeles on Friday night.,Enes Kanter scored eight of his 16 points down the stretch as the Knicks pulled away, ending their first win since Dec. 14 on an 11-3 run.,Seven players scored in double figures for New York, including 10 points in the fourth quarter from Mario Hezonja, who also had barely played since mid-December.,TIP-INS

Knicks: Frank Ntilikina played only briefly in the first half before straining his left ankle and sitting out the rest of the game.,SLOW START FOR LA read more

Nearly 50 dioceses and religious orders have publicly identified child-molesting priests in the wake of the Pennsylvania report issued in mid-August, and 55 more have announced plans to do the same over the next few months, the AP found.,The Pennsylvania investigation, led by state Attorney General Josh Shapiro, identified nearly 300 “predator priests” dating back seven decades and accused church leaders of covering up for the abuses, in some cases by returning priests to duty after short stays in treatment centers or reassigning them.,In the 16 years between the Boston scandal and the Pennsylvania investigation, only about 30 dioceses around the country had released lists of priests they deemed credibly accused of abuse.,In October, the pope accepted the resignation of Cardinal Donald Wuerl, archbishop of Washington, D.C., after he was accused in the report of mishandling some allegations of abuse against priests and others while bishop of Pittsburgh from 1988 to 2006.,In mid-December, she issued a blistering preliminary report saying a review of church files showed dioceses in Illinois had withheld the names of at least 500 clergy accused of sexually abusing children.

PHILADELPHIA — Over the past four months, Roman Catholic dioceses across the U.S. have released the names of more than 1,000 priests and others accused of sexually abusing children in an unprecedented public reckoning spurred at least in part by a shocking grand jury investigation in Pennsylvania, an Associated Press review has found.,Nearly 50 dioceses and religious orders have publicly identified child-molesting priests in the wake of the Pennsylvania report issued in mid-August, and 55 more have announced plans to do the same over the next few months, the AP found.,In mid-December, she issued a blistering preliminary report saying a review of church files showed dioceses in Illinois had withheld the names of at least 500 clergy accused of sexually abusing children.,The Pennsylvania investigation , led by Shapiro, identified nearly 300 “predator priests” dating back seven decades and accused church leaders of covering up for the abuses, in some cases by returning priests to duty after short stays in treatment centers or reassigning them.,In the 16 years between the Boston scandal and the Pennsylvania investigation, only about 30 dioceses around the country had released lists of priests they deemed credibly accused of abuse.

(Photo: Max Ortiz, The Detroit News)

The fallout from the Flint water crisis will continue in 2019, with two top state officials facing trial on charges related to the lead contamination of the city’s drinking water.,Buy PhotoDemocratic gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer  (Photo: Daniel Mears, The Detroit News) read more