After nearly three months in the state's most restrictive tier, Orange County entered the red tier on March 14, allowing for the return of indoor movie theaters, dining and fitness centers.,The transition into the red tier will also allow for Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm and the Angel Stadium to open under limited capacity.,At a news conference on March 5, Ghaly said that theme parks will be allowed to reopen at 15% capacity once Orange County enters the red tier.,“While last week’s announcement stated that theme parks may open starting on April 1, the fact is it will take some time to get them ready for our guests — this includes recalling more than 10,000 furloughed cast and retraining them to be able to operate according to the state of California’s new requirements,” said Bob Chapek, chief executive officer of the Walt Disney Company in a statement on March 9.,In addition to the opening of the dining hall at 25% capacity, Shim added that the restaurant will continue to offer outdoor seating.

By falling below 7.0, high school football and water polo teams in the county won’t be required to do coronavirus testing before competitions.,Ventura County’s adjusted rate last week was 9.1.,There was a collective sigh of relief from high school football and water polo coaches last week when Los Angeles County’s adjusted rate dropped below 7.0 for the first time since the California Department of Public Health established that as a guideline for youth sports.,It happened last week when Mission Viejo had a positive test in its program and had to cancel its game against La Habra.,If a county goes up and above a rate of 7.0, the testing requirement is immediately restored for football and water polo teams.

Roy Dunn, founder of the Opportunity Valley News, looks through one of the first editions of the free weekly newspaper that was distributed to every home in Orange County beginning on St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 1971.,After nine years, Cox Newspapers, owner of the Orange Leader and Port Arthur News, bought the paper from Dunn and it was published by the Orange Leader for the next 20 years.,It's been 50 years to the day – St. Patrick's Day, 1971 -- since Roy Dunn went into the newspapering business with the first edition of the Opportunity Valley News.,Roy Dunn says Runnels' weekly sports column entitled "'Strike Two, Third Down' made his name very famous around Orange County.","With all the success the Opportunity Valley News had, the Community Post was just amazing, the way it took off," Roy Dunn said.

The county of 10 million people was one of several that moved into the state’s orange tier, which is the second-least restrictive of California’s four-tier system.,The International Olympic Committee and International Paralympic Committee said they fully respect and accept the move

Placer County is one of 13 California counties that have moved Sunday to the red tier of California’s COVID-19 reopening framework, loosening some restrictions.,The counties became eligible to move from the purple tier (“widespread”) to the red tier (“substantial” spread) after the state hit its goal Friday of delivering 2 million COVID-19 doses to communities hit hardest by the pandemic, triggering new thresholds.,Butte County has qualified to move from the most stringent purple tier to the less-restrictive red tier of the state’s COVID-19 reopening plan.,For a county to move down to the red tier, there should be a case rate of 4-7 per 100,000 residents with a 5-8% test positivity rate. read more

CLOSE

LANCASTER - If a local or national newspaper reporter makes a mistake in a story, Mary Lawrence will probably catch it.,Lawrence is the marking director for the Fairfield County Heritage Association, which operates the Sherman House and Georgian museums.,Buy PhotoFairfield County Heritage Association marketing director Mary Lawrence spent more than 30 years in journalism, along with teaching journalism, before coming to her current job 10 years ago.,Lawrence said FCHA's main concern is keeping both museums open and in good running order.,Lawrence was also the managing editor of the Marion Star, which is a sister paper to the Eagle-Gazette. read more

During a press conference Saturday at Memphis Office of Emergency Management, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland (in a file photo) said problems with the state’s coronavirus vaccine signup are causing Shelby County to revert to SignUpGenius starting at noon Saturday, March 13.,(Jim Weber/Daily Memphian)

— High school students in Broward County have a new resource to build the skills to succeed in college and beyond, thanks to a partnership announced today between Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) and the National Educational Equity Lab (Ed Equity Lab), a nonprofit that works to bridge the gap between high school and college for students from low-income backgrounds.,The ambitious initiative, which has reached over 3,000 high school students in 34 cities over the past 18 months, will provide more than 200 students at Title I high schools across BCPS with free access to Yale University’s most popular course, “Psychology and the Good Life,” taught by pioneering cognitive psychologist Dr. Laurie Santos.,In addition to its launch in Broward County, the Ed Equity Lab will deliver and support Yale’s course to students in more than 40 Title I high schools across the country, including in Los Angeles, New York, Baton Rouge, Orlando, Meriden, Connecticut, and Gallup, New Mexico.,In addition to Yale and UConn, other top colleges and universities working with the Ed Equity Lab to provide college credit-bearing courses to talented historically underserved high school students include: Howard University, Cornell University, Arizona State University and Harvard University for the inaugural pilot.,“Our work with universities and districts around the country shows that especially for students in underserved schools, access to actual college courses with real college professors can have a transformative impact,” said Alexandra Slack, Chief of Staff at the National Education Equity Lab.

Here’s a look at the legal road ahead for Trump —-

Atlanta prosecutors opened a criminal investigation into whether Trump attempted to overturn his election loss in Georgia, including a Jan. 2 phone call in which he urged the state’s Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to “find” enough votes to reverse Biden’s narrow victory.,Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr., a Democrat, is in the midst of an 18-month criminal investigation focusing in part on hush-money payments paid to women on Trump’s behalf, and whether Trump or his businesses manipulated the value of assets — inflating them in some cases and minimizing them in others — to gain favorable loan terms and tax benefits.,Last month, Vance’s office sent subpoenas to local governments in the New York City suburbs seeking information about a sprawling Westchester estate Trump owns there, and 158 acres of land he donated to conservation land trust in 2016 to qualify for an income tax deduction.,New York Attorney General Letitia James’ civil investigation focuses on some of the same issues as Vance’s criminal probe, including possible property value manipulation and tax write-offs Trump’s company, the Trump Organization, claimed on millions of dollars in consulting fees it paid, including money that went to Trump’s daughter Ivanka.,Lawyers for Summer Zervos, a restaurateur who worked with Trump as a contestant on “The Apprentice,” asked New York’s high court last week to dismiss as moot Trump’s appeal that argued a sitting president can’t be sued in a state court. read more

The OC Health Care Agency reported 658 new cases of the coronavirus on Tuesday, Feb. 16, increasing the cumulative total in the county to 243,163  cases since tracking began.,The data on deaths in the county is compiled from death certificates or gathered through the course of case investigations and can take weeks to process.,An estimated 8,455 cases of the virus have been recorded in Orange County in the last 14 days.,The county’s breakdown of deaths by age is as follows:

85 and older: 32.96% (1,193, up 14) read more

A new vaccination site at Santa Ana College opening Wednesday, Feb. 17, aims to serve eligible residents in Anaheim, Garden Grove and Santa Ana neighborhoods that have seen some of the highest COVID-19 infection rates in the county and the largest numbers of people hospitalized or killed by the virus.,Like the county’s other PODS (points of dispensing), vaccinations at the Santa Ana College site will be by appointment only.,“The Santa Ana College site is a tangible example of the county and Board of Supervisors delivering on our focus on equity in vaccine distribution.”,The county is alerting people 65 and older who live in the affected ZIP codes and are registered with Othena that they can make an appointment for the Santa Ana College site, and it’s doing other outreach to eligible seniors who haven’t yet signed up through Othena, Kim said.,“I’m obviously excited that there is going to be a vaccination site here in in Santa Ana, and I’m even more glad that it is going to be addressing some of the most impacted residents in our community and our county,” he  said.